Saturday, January 21, 2012


My sweet aunt had a sign on her wall when I was growing up that read
Motherhood Is Like Being Pecked To Death By A Duck
I found this to be a little strange. "Adults are so bizarre." I thought.
Now I realize that I love ducks, as I am sure my aunt did. I hear their quacking morning, noon and night and sometimes I dream about their feathers and bills and feet. And sometimes I just need to be far enough from the pond that I can't hear the quacking.
Today my husband took me out to lunch. I think he could see that my reserves were depleted both nutritionally and mentally and bundled me into the car at top speed, calling over his shoulder to our oldest (a very capable babysitter) that we would be back soon. A long lunch later I was feeling much better and thinking in complete sentences when the cell phone starting ringing. When my husband picked up I could tell from the distant squawking that my daughter was wondering if we were ever coming back. He reassured her that we would be back before she had to leave for her afternoon commitments and closed the phone.
Perhaps the people at the table next to ours thought that those Mormons have some very interesting customs.
"..........those strange people over there are quacking softly and rolling their eyes....what the heck."
I suppose most cowboys are unlikely to hang out in Subway quacking but I am so glad that the particular one that I married will- along with removing the toilet that had a new bottle of foundation flushed down it by the two year old ( plugging it off and overflowing it twice before it was removed and the culprit discovered), changing those two stinky diapers that needed attention when I was trying to catch up after a week of nightly sleep interruptions and hug and kiss those little ducks twice cause they want to tell Daddy "bye" when he's all dressed up to go .........out to the garage and is coming back inside in an hour for lunch.
I was absolutely right, adults are bizarre................

Maybe we are quacked up ......It ain't easy bein' a duck.
But there's no better way to fly.


No comments:

Post a Comment