Friday, December 28, 2018

The January Effect

Every year we all line up, make those goals/resolutions/decisions and march bravely forward for a week or two or four until we lose focus or get sick or life happens and then hang our heads and resolve to do better next year. All of this may even take place before we’re even finished cleaning up after or paying for Christmas.
  What if we looked at it from the other end? What if we put our action in the proper focus? What if we put the process in a better order? What if we asked better questions?
Why did I gain weight?
What damages my relationships with family and friends?
What has prevented me from seeing what’s happening?
  So many times we trot out our same solutions for what we think is wrong in our lives only to see them fail year by year. Perhaps we might consider doing some of these things. The following are a list of possibilities in no particular order.
1. Write down changes we want to see in our circumstances and then intentionally watch our actions to see how they play into the creation of the dynamic we desire to change.
Ex. I have too much stuff- I buy things when I’m down to create excitement and fun.
2. What action have I committed that I regret and have never resolved?  How much of my energy is it sucking. What opportunities is it blocking?
3. What trauma or hurt have I stored but never processed? Phobias, abuse, accidents, injuries all impact our health and choices.
4. Begin journaling our emotions and watching for patterns.
So many times our stress, our struggles or our difficulties cycle around until we decide to be honest with ourselves. When we look at ourselves with honesty and compassion, lasting change is available. May our 2019 be a season of growth and learning for us all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment